About IMRoycer81

Richmond, Virginia, United States
Thanks for visiting! I'm a civil litigator at KPMLaw. I attended Cornell where I swam IM and Breastroke. In 2007 I filled the void of swimming retirement with triathlon. In my first tri I thought, "holy sh*t this is painful" and "when can I do it again?" Things escalated quickly and my first half iron was in Augusta 2009 and my first full iron was Louisville 2011. Since 2007 I've been chasing a dream of qualifying for the World Champs in Kona, Hawaii. Prior to September 2017 this blog focused on attempts (and failures) to achieve an elusive KQ. I got the monkey off my back in my 10th Ironman at Chattanooga in 2017. I was fortunate to qualify again in 2022. There is always room to improve, and I look forward to putting in the work to become a consistent podium finisher. I couldn't do any of this without my amazing family. I am lucky to train in a fantastic triathlon town with inspirational athletes. My job, training, and daughters keep me busy, but I update as often as I can. I'm always willing to share the knowledge I've picked up along the way. Thanks for reading!

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Welcome to my 2012 Blog

Last year I embarked on my first Ironman journey and had an amazing experience.  The training was ridiculous/grueling but I got to the finish line at Ironman Louisville under my goal time and finished the race with my two best friends.  There is something about Ironman training that makes you feel like superman.  Even in the midst of my longest, hardest, and hottest training days, I felt like I could conquer anything.  I have always enjoyed pushing myself physically, and training for Ironman took this to the next level.  My best friends know me as someone who loves to suffer.  I love spending time in the "pain cave" and testing my absolute physical limits. My training buddy John always jokes that I like to do "extra credit" by doing a bit more on each workout than my training plan calls for.

I knew from the moment I crossed the finish line that I was coming back to Louisville (subject of course to the obligatory approval of my lovely wife).  Even though I nailed my performance and hit my "best case scenario" goal time, I knew that I could be faster with more and targeted training and guidance.  Louisville showed me that I have the ability to compete well in long course triathlon and hopefully one day qualify for Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii.  So I kept myself fit over the fall and winter, ran a PR at the Richmond marathon and decided to hire a coach beginning on January 1, 2012.

Beginning in January, I started working with Bob Flanigan at Central Virginia Endurance with the hopes that he could push me to the next level and give me a fighting chance at a KQ(Kona Qualifier) at Louisville this summer.  So far I am very pleased and I am by far the most fit that I have ever been this early in the year.  I am training with my buddy John Hauserman and have started training with a new group of maniacs that may love to suffer even more than me.  I have to give credit and thanks to Moose "Steel Hammer" Herring, Rob Green, Bob Flanigan, Jeff Tunstall, and John Hauserman for really pushing me to my limits on some crazy early season workouts.  I also need to thank my wife and family in advance for embarking on this journey with me again.  I hope that I can reward their faith and patience with a trip to Hawaii in October.  I look forward to blogging about my training, racing, gear, inevitable injuries, highs and lows over the next few months.

My mantra for this year is :50, 5:15, 3:30....  9:45 at Louisville gives me a fighting chance to get to Kona, and I will be busting my butt for the next 5 months to give myself this opportunity.  Thanks for reading and please check back for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment