About IMRoycer81

Richmond, Virginia, United States
Thanks for visiting! I'm a civil litigator at KPMLaw. I attended Cornell where I swam IM and Breastroke. In 2007 I filled the void of swimming retirement with triathlon. In my first tri I thought, "holy sh*t this is painful" and "when can I do it again?" Things escalated quickly and my first half iron was in Augusta 2009 and my first full iron was Louisville 2011. Since 2007 I've been chasing a dream of qualifying for the World Champs in Kona, Hawaii. Prior to September 2017 this blog focused on attempts (and failures) to achieve an elusive KQ. I got the monkey off my back in my 10th Ironman at Chattanooga in 2017. I was fortunate to qualify again in 2022. There is always room to improve, and I look forward to putting in the work to become a consistent podium finisher. I couldn't do any of this without my amazing family. I am lucky to train in a fantastic triathlon town with inspirational athletes. My job, training, and daughters keep me busy, but I update as often as I can. I'm always willing to share the knowledge I've picked up along the way. Thanks for reading!

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Oakley Jawbone Review

Oakley Jawbones have been out for a few years now and are about to be discontinued/re-named.  Apparently the frame shape is being modified and re-branded under a new name.  I've heard Oakley got sued for copyright infringement over the name Jawbone as there is some blue tooth cell phone ear piece that also goes by the name.  These glasses are old and about to be discontinued so it feels timely(not) for my thoughts on my favorite sunglasses.

Jawbones are the most functional glasses for both cycling and running.  I think that Radars are probably better for those that are strictly roadies but the Jawbone takes top prize for cycling/running/triathlon.  I remember first seeing them on Tour de France riders in either 2008 or 2009.  I remember thinking immediately that they looked garish and ridiculous... perfect for triathlon.  Triathlons are like a really bad fashion show riddled with 80's type hyper colors and copious amounts of lycra (sounds awesome right).  Personally, half the fun of racing is having a loud kit (bold tri-shorts/top, bright sneakers, big bright sunglasses, aero helmets, etc.)  There is just something about wearing loud gear that makes you feel faster.  Jawbones fit this mold perfectly and are highly functional for multi-sport.

I am on my third set of Jawbones which should tell you how much I like them.  Part of the reason I like them so much is because they are highly customizable and can be color matched to virtually any race kit.  My current pair consists of matte white frame, matte white jaws, gray nose piece/O emblem/ear socks, and three sets of lenses (Jade Iridium (green) vented/black iridium non-vented polarized/persimmon (orange) non-vented).

Almost every part of the sunglasses can be swapped out for a wide variety of colors.  The sunglasses have several parts which can be color customized.  The changeable parts are the upper frame, lower "jaws", ear socks, nose pieces, lenses, "through bolts" (which affix the jaws to the frame), and if you order them from Oakley you can even customize the color of the O logo.  You also have the option for polarized/non-polarized lenses and vented lenses.  The vented lenses are a really nice feature for early morning/foggy races and keep the lenses clear in weather conditions/temperatures where they would normally fog.  Every pair of Jawbones comes with two sets of lenses which is nice because you can have a set for bright sunny days and cloudy/night riding.  Another nice feature is that all Jawbones come with the soft Oakley cleaning bag and a hard vault case to keep them safe.  This is a nice touch since a custom pair of Jawbones can cost over 200 "bones".

I hope that the new re-branded version of these glasses stays substantially the same so I continue to color match my glasses to each years kit.  Gotta make sure I look good at the cross-colors fashion show!!!
Check out the photos below.

Vault Case
Layout of the whole package including
soft cleaning bag, replacement nose
pieces, glasses, and extra lenses.


Glasses from the front with vented
jade iridium (green) lenses
Side view including through bolt, O
emblem, and ear socks.


open jaws, this is how you swap
out the lenses.




No comments:

Post a Comment