About IMRoycer81

Richmond, Virginia, United States
Thanks for visiting! I'm a civil litigator at KPMLaw. I attended Cornell where I swam IM and Breastroke. In 2007 I filled the void of swimming retirement with triathlon. In my first tri I thought, "holy sh*t this is painful" and "when can I do it again?" Things escalated quickly and my first half iron was in Augusta 2009 and my first full iron was Louisville 2011. Since 2007 I've been chasing a dream of qualifying for the World Champs in Kona, Hawaii. Prior to September 2017 this blog focused on attempts (and failures) to achieve an elusive KQ. I got the monkey off my back in my 10th Ironman at Chattanooga in 2017. I was fortunate to qualify again in 2022. There is always room to improve, and I look forward to putting in the work to become a consistent podium finisher. I couldn't do any of this without my amazing family. I am lucky to train in a fantastic triathlon town with inspirational athletes. My job, training, and daughters keep me busy, but I update as often as I can. I'm always willing to share the knowledge I've picked up along the way. Thanks for reading!

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Running Strong

Throughout this early season a positive theme for me has been steady run improvement.  It seems that with each passing week my running ability and speed has been steadily increasing.  My improvement started over the winter when Moose Herring, and Rob Green invited me to participate in their weekend Hammer Trail runs.  I spent several months chasing those maniacs through the woods while building my core strength and increasing my run speed in the process.  After starting with CVE in January, I have continued to notice steady gains in my running.  These running gains have been the most exciting part of my training, and each week I feel like there is another breakthrough.  This brings me to this weekend.  For yesterday's workout, my plan called for a 75 minute run which included a 30 minute Z3 interval (half ironman pace) with a slight build to Z4 at the end of the interval.  I was able to comfortably average 6:49 pace for the interval (key word...comfortably).  A few short months ago I would not have dreamed that I would be comfortably running sub 7 minute miles.  This is truly exciting stuff and I feel I am making truly huge strides toward my year end goals.

Over the past several years I have realized that the best triathletes are strong runners.  This has traditionally been my weakness.  Thanks to CVE and the Hammerheads, I am slowly turning my weakness into a strength.  When I started this seasonm one of my prime goals was to average 8:00/mile at Ironman Louisville on the marathon (3:30 marathon).  I am beginning to revise that goal downward thanks to my awesome coach and training buddies.  Cheers and happy training.

No comments:

Post a Comment