About IMRoycer81

Richmond, Virginia, United States
Thanks for visiting! I'm a civil litigator at KPMLaw. I attended Cornell where I swam IM and Breastroke. In 2007 I filled the void of swimming retirement with triathlon. In my first tri I thought, "holy sh*t this is painful" and "when can I do it again?" Things escalated quickly and my first half iron was in Augusta 2009 and my first full iron was Louisville 2011. Since 2007 I've been chasing a dream of qualifying for the World Champs in Kona, Hawaii. Prior to September 2017 this blog focused on attempts (and failures) to achieve an elusive KQ. I got the monkey off my back in my 10th Ironman at Chattanooga in 2017. I was fortunate to qualify again in 2022. There is always room to improve, and I look forward to putting in the work to become a consistent podium finisher. I couldn't do any of this without my amazing family. I am lucky to train in a fantastic triathlon town with inspirational athletes. My job, training, and daughters keep me busy, but I update as often as I can. I'm always willing to share the knowledge I've picked up along the way. Thanks for reading!

Monday, April 9, 2012

Chopping Wood and Carrying Water

I had a great week of training last week and put in solid work in all three disciplines. I am building a firm base for August.  I truly enjoy putting my nose to the grindstone and laying the foundation for success.  I am also really beginning to feel fit.  I am definitely happiest when my fitness level is through the roof and right now I can feel myself getting stronger with each passing week.  Its not always  fun, but to achieve my goals, I know I need to do the grunt work that many people skimp on..."chopping wood and carrying water". 

I have gotten into a good routine of swimming 3x/week for about 4-5000 yards per session.  This is more than I have swam in years and I feel like I am getting into a pretty good swim groove.  I don't really have top end speed and can't hold intervals like my old swimming days, but I am confident that I am putting in the right kind of work to be faster in the water at Half and Full Distance races.  I got several quality bike and run sessions in as well and I am definitely making fitness gains in both disciplines.  I am finding it is becoming easier to hold faster paces on both the bike and run over longer and longer periods of time. 

This week was capped off by my two longest workouts.  Saturday was a 70 mile bike ride on a familiar bike route with some decent elevation changes.  I actually rode on the southside of the James River near where I grew up.  It is also the roads where I first started cycling seriously and fell in love with riding my bike (while hanging on to Travis Deckert's draft for dear life).  The ride was warm and sunny but the wind was whipping like a SOB.  It was one of those days that felt like the wind was always blasting me in the face.  Nothing kills the legs like riding into a headwind for three hours.  Despite the wind, I had a pretty strong ride on a pretty tough rolling route.  Given the conditions, I feel very good about the ride. 

On Sunday it was all about the run.  The plan called for a steady state Zone 2/3 run.  I decided that I would start the run off on UR campus and do some early hill work to get the legs warmed up and then head down towards the City for an out and back.  After the first mile, I really got into a nice groove and felt smooth and relaxed.  The weather was beautiful and I was even able to run with my shirt off.  On the way out my paces were fast for how relaxed I was running.  7:30-7:45/mile felt very comfortable.  This is exactly where I need to be in August.  I am working to make 7:45 second nature so I can bring home my Ironman in 3:30 (or better).  Little did I know, that the first half felt so smooth because I was running with the wind at my back!  After getting down to Boulevard and turning back up Monument Avenue for home, I realized that I was going to be running into a pretty firm headwind for the next 6 miles.  Needless to say, the back half of the run was not quite as comfortable.  Despite the wind, my miles stayed consistent and my heart rate stayed in control.  I ended up shorting the running route by accident, and finished my run a few minutes early.  This worked out fine since Britt and I needed to head to my parents house for Easter Dinner.
Britt and I finished the weekend off at my parents house for Easter Dinner.  Everyone was home for the holiday and I got to spend some time with the family.  It was nice to have Lummy, Ricky and Jacko home.  It is always fun to have everyone together and share one of my mom's phenomenal holiday meals.  I am definitely appreciative that I have such an amazing family.



No comments:

Post a Comment